Tuesday, May 22, 2007

EMBRACING THE PINK

I hate the whole "Princess" phenomenon. Disney is killing me with anti-feminist crap for my kid. So far The Girl has only a couple things with identifiable princesses: lip gloss on a string from a birthday party (may get "lost" soon), a Cinderella nightgown from her nana, and a couple hand-me-down princess costumes from her cousins. And of all the princess movies, she's only seen one - Little Mermaid. But somehow she has picked up the 411 on Sleeping Beauty. Today she dressed herself in her Snow White costume, used the detachable cape as her blanket and asked me to come into her room and wake her with a kiss (I know she is mixing princess, but whatever, we don't have a Sleeping Beauty costume). So I did. I told her she was smart and beautiful, then kissed her, then told her to make her bed. And she did. Ugh. One day I will tell her Prince Charming is gay and she has to know herself & completely love herself before she will meet the man of her dreams.

3 comments:

Snoskred said...

Hi, it's Snoskred here. I found you via Nablopomo last year. I'm just dropping by to let you know that I read your blog with google reader whenever you update, and that I enjoy your blog. I'm re-doing my links on my blog, and I have linked to you in the sidebar.

You know, don't take this the wrong way, but she's got her whole life to be a feminist. Dreaming of being a princess is such a wonderful little girl thing, and it doesn't last too long, so embrace it - and the pink - while it lasts. ;) There's only a short window of time when one can wear those pink fairy princess dresses, and the time is now.. :)

And Prince Charming always turns out to be gay, I've found. ;) So that is probably wise advice to give her when she's a little older..

SUEB0B said...

Hi VenturaMom...

Any plans to go to the LA Blogger Bash this Saturday night? I am going if you want a ride!

snackishblogATyahoo

Rose-Colored Beer Goggles said...

Crickets on this site. Vegas must have been a blast ;o)