Saturday, March 03, 2007

OPRAH IS AMAZING

I just finished watching Oprah's special about the school she opened in South Africa. I am a weepy mess and have used half a box of Kleenex. My god. This woman...

She has just given these girls hope. And education. Safety. Love. Food. Shelter. Clothing. These are all the things these girls now have in abundance. These "daughters" of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls all have a big bushel full of hope. What an amazing thing to be able to give. I really am just awestruck at Oprah's ability to give this dream roots, tend to it every step of the way as it grew and then watch as it blossom into this amazing school full of girls. She is going to change that country. One woman is going to change the fate of South Africa. What does that feel like? That responsibility, that love, the commitment? Damn, the money.

If you didn't get to see the program, go watch some of it on her site. I am really at a loss. Words fail me. Oprah is changing the fate of a nation. I am inspired by her. One woman, one girl, can change the world.

So come on sisters, let's join her. Even if I asked each of you to send me $100, I have a feeling our school would still be a few books short of a library. But we can be that change here, today. Tell someone they did a good job. Tell a little girl she is special. Believe in yourself. We may not be able to open a school, but we can be upstanding sisters, mothers, friends, mentors to girls and women in our lives. Even telling the Girl Scout selling cookies outside of Von's that she's doing a great job can mean a lot. Praise is something we can do for free. And the cookies are only $4 a box, in case you want to do some good for the Girl Scouts. Can thin mints save the world? Maybe not. But you can do good. I can do good. We can do better.

I feel like I just went to church. Uplifted. Yep, that's the word I was looking for. Oprah, girl. You have just changed the world. Can I get an amen?

2 comments:

V said...

AMEN! Its funny that you wrote this post. My research paper I am working on right now is about how important it is that we teach young girls about all the women that have made such a difference in history. I believe you just made my reference page, as I WILL be quoting this post.

Monkey loves Kitten said...

The Thin Mints may not be able to do it on their own, but teamed with Samoas anything is possible!