Friday, November 04, 2005

CRAZY AND QUESTIONING

I have been reading other mommy blogs for nearly a year and a couple of things stand out. First, we are all crazy. And I say that in a loving, non-judgemental way. We are all either on meds, have previously been on meds, might need some meds or just have a tendancy toward crazy.

Secondly, all mothers question themselves, their parenting skills and the relative happiness and well-being of their offspring. Why is that? I'm convinced it's frickin hard-wired in us. I have NEVER met a mom who was completely at ease with her job. I met a mom of two teenage boys at the dog park. She is 49 and says she still feels like a rookie when it comes to mothering. She said it's the only thing in life that doesn't have a decent operating manual. HA HA.

I ran across this reply to a post on Suburban Bliss and thought it was most excellent... "I am convinced that mothering is a "fly by the seat of your pants" occupation. There is no training class for it and no retirement from it. I also believe it is the only thing in this life that is black and white AND gray. So simple and so complicated. Yep, that is being a Mom and ain't it a wonderful thing!"

Earlier this week I told Gregg, "I wish I knew if I was doing a good job." His response was, "Duh. She's still alive and she's funny." Dork.

1 comment:

cmhl said...

that is so true--- no matter the situation, I think "we" all entertain doubts from time to time.