Tuesday, August 16, 2005

PIECE OF CAKE

The Girl's first day of school went swimmingly. I admit I was tightly wound, but a quick morning visit from the neighbors who wanted to wish Grace well helped calm me down. BTW, my neighbors rock. I stayed in the classroom with Grace for about 30 minutes, watching her play, explore and start an art project (PAINT! WTF?!?). When I told her I was going to leave, she wanted me to hold her. Lather, rinse, repeat three times. On the fourth try, the teacher held her and she made a couple little tears, but nothing major. I was dry-eyed until I got to the lobby. The receptionist smiled knowingly and silently pointed out the tissues on the table. Just a little eye spillage, really, nothing major. But still it was nice when the Director came out and gave me a hug. She said that "first days" are a part of growing up, even for the mommies.

So there you have it. I grew today.

Interesting facts: She is the youngest in the class at 24 1/2 months, yet the most verbal. Shocking since her mommy never shuts up. And while she was in school, I went shopping to four, yes, four stores and stopped by Starbucks for a Chai. This required five separate trips in and out of the car and not once did I have to unbuckle a 5-point harness or wrestle the stroller from the trunk. Fabulous. Ab. Fab. However, I promise I will start on the business plan next week.

No comments: